EFFECTIVE DATE: This policy was last updated on: October 30, 2019
RedCritter general audience products, services and web sites are not open to users under 13 years of age. For our products, services and web sites that do collect information on children under 13 years of age, including but not limited to RedCritter products for teachers, schools and families, please see below/click here for more information. For additional information specific to RedCritter products for Schools, teachers and learning or enrichment programs, please see below, RedCritter for Education.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide - When you sign up for a RedCritter account, we ask you for personal information. We may also ask for information about your business, this does not apply to educational organizations. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other RedCritter services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt-in or opt-out of combining such information.
- Log information - When you access RedCritter services via a browser, application or other client, our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account. Upon signing out sessions are destroyed.
- User communications - When you send email or other communications to RedCritter, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services. We may use your email address to communicate with you about our services. Additionally, we may use feeds built into our products in order to communicate special RedCritter offers, discounts and important upgrade or system information. However, student personal information will only be used for authorized educational/school or enrichment purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Google information - Some RedCritter sites offer the option to use Google single Sign-in. Additionally, school admins and teachers can use G-Suite data to import teachers, students and rosters as well as share and manage Google Drive files with students in the classroom. Teachers may also create live-streaming YouTube Google Hangouts for video conferencing in the classroom where supported.
- Unique account number - This service uses a unique number that is associated with your account. This number and information about your installation (e.g., version number, user licenses, usage statistics or license types) may be sent to RedCritter when that service periodically contacts our servers (for example, to request license verification or retrieve special discounts that you may qualify for).
- Company references - We reserve the right to use your company's logo and name in our marketing materials, web sites, and collateral, without restriction. This does not include educational organizations. If you do not wish to have this information made public you may contact us at www.redcritter.com and we will remove this information from our materials.
In addition to the above, we may use the information we collect to:
Provide, maintain, protect, and improve our services (including notifying RedCritter users about RedCritter products/upgrades, specials discounts and services or RedCritter approved extensions) and develop new services; and protect the rights or property of RedCritter or our users. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use. RedCritter processes all information on our servers in the United States of America.
REDCRITTER FOR EDUCATION
RedCritter services and apps for Education collect information about students from teachers, schools (including staff and administrators), and from learning or enrichment programs for use in an educational context. Please see the sections below outlining the information collection practices of the RedCritter services and apps for Education.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM TEACHERS, SCHOOLS, AND LEARNING OR ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS
We collect a first name, last name and a school email address for all users in order to create an account. RedCritter services and apps for Education collect each student's first name and last name (you can just use an initial if desired) and birthdate for safety and COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) compliance. We may also collect district ID, school ID, staff ID, and class ID, student ID or similar equivalents if applicable.
STUDENT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
RedCritter services and apps for Education are available for schools and learning or enrichment programs and we allow teachers, schools, or program administrators and staff to sign their students up for an account. The teacher, school, program administrator or staff may collect and enter, or request parents to enter the following information: first name, last name (you can just use an initial if desired), date of birth (for safety and COPPA compliance), student ID, profile related photos or images, and email address(s) (the parent's email address can be used if desired). We may also specifically collect a parent's email address in order to provide notices or other communication about their child's participation in RedCritter services and apps for Education. Children under 13 years of age that create a RedCritter profile are only able to use a feature-restricted version of the app and are prohibited from sharing their information outside of the RedCritter Teacher site and apps. In accordance with COPPA, we limit the data we collect from children under 13 years of age. Students and users under 13 years of age are also restricted from using chat features, sharing their profiles, adding phone numbers and addresses to profiles, image sharing and social media sharing. Students and users 13 years of age and older may provide additional profile information and enable all available features at their discretion. Teachers, parents and students can contact us at any time if they have questions about their account information, or if they wish to have their information deleted from RedCritter. Please email us at email@example.com.
COPPA AND FERPA COMPLIANCE
Some information we collect from schools may be considered an education record ("Education Record") under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). A school may disclose personally identifiable information from a student's education records to a third party with either written consent of the parent and/or 'eligible student' (students who are at least 18 years of age or attending a postsecondary institution) or by meeting one of the exemptions set forth in FERPA ("FERPA Exemption(s)"), including the exemption for Directory Information ("Directory Information Exemption") or disclosure to school officials with a legitimate educational interest ("School Official Exemption").
Information we collect is never disclosed or used for any kind of third party advertising. Student personal information is never used for any RedCritter or third-party marketing or advertising. Student personal information is never sold or rented. Student personal information will only be used for authorized educational/school or enrichment purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
If you provide student information to us you represent, warrant and covenant to RedCritter, as applicable, that your Institution has:
(i) complied with the Directory Information Exemption, including, without limitation, informing parents and eligible students what information the Institution deems to be directory information and allowing parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that schools not disclose directory information about them; and/or
(ii) complied with the School Official Exemption, including, without limitation, informing parents in their annual notification of FERPA rights that the Institution defines "school official" to include service providers and defines "legitimate educational interest" to include services such as the type provided by RedCritter; or
(iii) obtained all necessary parental or eligible student written consent to share the Directory Information and/or Educational Records with RedCritter.
(iv) considered or complied with the FTC COPPA 'best practice' for schools to provide parents with a notice of the technologies whose collection it has consented to on behalf of the parent.
We do not use any third party for tracking analytics for students using the k12.redcritter.com site or associated mobile apps. For adults using our other properties we track page traffic and activity using Google Analytics to help us better understand how our service is used and how we can improve it in the future.
By default location aware features are not available, although you may choose at any time to enable them. If enabled, certain features we provide may make use of location data. We offer a variety of location-aware features and services. We obtain information about your location through various methods like GPS data. We may collect de-identified geolocation from users browsing our public web sites.
RedCritter is designed to allow users including students to accumulate and showcase their educational, career, informal learning, extracurricular, and hobbyist achievements throughout the course of their education, career and beyond. If you wish to reset your profile (or your child's profile) or delete it entirely, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Student personal information is only retained as long as necessary to deliver services or for school or enrichment programs.
You can use your Profile Page in RedCritter to manage your user profile publishing settings. We request your last name during signup. You may choose to enter only your last initial. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, RedCritter features and services will not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
Personal information provided is never sold or rented to anyone. RedCritter only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of RedCritter in the following circumstances:
- You use or join a RedCritter Connecter App created and managed by another party.
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information. We will not sell or rent your information even with consent.
To improve our products and services RedCritter may compile and use statistical analyses and reports utilizing aggregated, de-identified data derived from any personal information, data or and other sources, both internal and external to RedCritter, so long as the information and data are not personal information or attributable to such person. Data is fully aggregated and completely de-identified so that no individual records exist.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data. We restrict access to personal information to RedCritter employees, contractors, 3rd party RedCritter Connecter App account managers and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations. When using RedCritter products or services on your own equipment, you are solely responsible for all security measures, backups, and access to all data stored on your server(s).
ACCESSING AND UPDATING PERSONAL INFORMATION
When you use RedCritter services, we provide you with access to your personal information and allow you to either correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. In order to review and access your data simply sign into the RedCritter site(s) to view your profile and account information. To request a correction or deletion of your personal data, email us at email@example.com. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing in backups, or for which access is not otherwise required). In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort.
please submit your questions to:
phone:+1 (214) 810-9950